Monday, October 6, 2008

Another use for local vodka...

Besides cleaning engine parts, that is. From Cocktail Virgin, the Winter Hill. For the curious uninformed non-gardeners, these are nasturtiums.



The first liquor store I went to did not have any of the three local brands but tried to sell me a similar New Hampshire brand. I explained that it had to be from Somerville as it was a “gift.” The clerk asked me if it was meant as a joke, and then sent me up the hill to the next level down of townie liquor stores. They did indeed have Cossack and Ruble. I ended up going with the Ruble since they had it in smaller sizes. The 375mL bottle set me back $3.99, and later I regretted not going with the 200mL bottle for $2.19.

2 comments:

frederic said...

If you have any information about the old (pre-Prohibition) Somerville Distillery which made rum and whiskey, that would make for a good article. A little ways away from Winter Hill apparently:

"In the rear of the Bleachery on Somerville Avenue is a distillery. New England rum is made here by Daniel E. Chase & Company. "

From the 1903 _Story of Somerville_ by M.A. Haley

--Frederic from CocktailVirgin.

Wintervillian said...

Hey Frederic- Thanks for the interesting tip... I am going to look into this. David